Countie(s) trail is located in: Josephine
Trail Type(s): ATV/ORV/OHV <> Camping <> Hiking <> Horseback/Equestrian <> Mountain Biking <> Hunting
Trail Measurement: 2.4 Miles
If you are at the trail and this trail needs the latitude and longitude please click the link below and add it to the Add/Edit Trail Form to give us the information. Click to view your current location on a map.
Sucker Creek Trail #1256
Trail is maintained on a regular basis. This is a very scenic trail that winds through undisturbed stands of old-growth timber. The trail begins at spur road 260 and gradually descends to Sucker Creek. A number of small creeks and springs cross the trail, providing easy water opportunities. The trail crosses a large slide area, about which stories tell of a number of miners who perished years ago in its destructive path. The trail eventually reaches Sucker Creek, which has to be forded. Care should be taken when fording here – though it is relatively shallow in the summer, heavy rains may raise the level of the creek enough to make crossing hazardous. Once across, the trail follows Sucker Creek a short distance to an unimproved campsite near the Johnson Creek Bridge on Forest Road 5591.
Open Season: Year-Round
Closest Towns: Powers, OR
Water: Not available. Surface water should be treated.
Information Center: Powers Ranger District
From Powers, OR, go south on County Road 90 to Forest Road 33, then west to Forest Road 3353 to Forest Road 5591, travel down Forest Road 5591 to bridge. Cross bridge and the trailhead is located to the right in a mining claim camp area.
From Gold Beach, OR, go northeast on County Road 545 to Forest Road 33, then west to Forest Road 3353 to Forest Road 5591, travel down 5591 to bridge. Cross bridge and the trailhead is located to the right in a mining claim camp area.
From Glendale, OR, go west on Bureau of Land Management Road 32-9-3 to Forest Road 3348, to Forest Road 33, then west on Forest Road 3353 to Forest Road 5591, travel down 5591 to bridge. Cross bridge and the trailhead is located to the right in a mining claim camp area.
- USGS Map: T32S, R12W, Section 10 or Section 33
- The trail is not designed for: pack and saddle, mountain bike, motorized bike, ATV, 4-wheel drive, barrier-free
- Daphne Grove Campground
- Myrtle Grove Campground
- Island Campground
- Daphne Grove Campground
Day Hiking and Backpacking
- Barklow Mountain Trail #1258
|Difficulty Level:||More to Most Difficult|
Small Game Hunting
- Recreation sites are adjacent to a variety of hunting opportunities. Hunting/discharging a firearm is NOT allowed in or near recreation sites.
- Reference: 36CFR 261.10(d)
- See Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife for hunting regulations.
If you have information about this trail please fill out the Add/Edit Trail form.
- Compass Latitude: 420151N
- Compass Longitude: 1232333W
- Numeric Latitude: 42.0309529
- Numeric Longitude: ‘-123.3925581
- Elevation in Feet: 1,040 – 2,240
- Elevation in Meters: 317 – 683
- Trail Measurement: 2.4 Miles